Friday 30 March 2012

Q4 + 5- Who would be the audience for your media product & how well did you attract them?

Below are three cartoon illustrations of the representation of members of my target audience. As a reminder, I have constructed a music magazine aimed at 18-34 male and females who follow the Hiphop scene of music and culture; I've narrowed the types of individuals down to black stereotypical members of the Hiphop genre. I have chosen three cartoon illustrations which have presented black people who follow the Hiphop scene of music and culture to identify what sort of people would consume my magazine. 


These are two cartoon illustrations which connote the two aspects which I made a dominant feature in my magazine- danger and power, through their clothing. I recognised that my target audience will follow similar conventions as the artists belonging to the Hiphop genre therefore clothing would be similar- as you can see some of the cartoon's are wearing black and red which connote danger and power therefore I made these connotations a dominant feature in my magazine to appeal to my target audience effectively. I did this through black and red text on my double page spread, a black background on my contents page and black cropped tops worn my my Hiphop duo 'CLONED.'


Some of the cartoons are also in break dancing positioning which is a strong convention which follows the Hiphop genre, therefore I realised that Hiphop dancers may also be the target audience. I did not use this convention in my music magazine as I did not feel dancing was relevant, I made my magazine more about the music instead. However Hiphop dancing is performed to Hiphop music so these individuals would still find something in my magazine suitable to their needs and wants, therefore I ensure I included 'UP-COMING TOUR DATES OF HIPHOP ARTISTS' a feature on my contents page, as they would benefit from this, as it's Hiphop music they could dance too. The majority of my target audience are of a black race and this is represented through the cartoon illustrations above. I made sure that the artists I used were of this race however I challenged this convention slightly through the use of my main artist 'Tyra' (as seen to the right) as she is lighter than typical artist belonging to the Hiphop genre and ultimately the target audience. I supported the 'black race' convention through the use of my Hiphop duo 'CLONED' as you can see in the image below:



The age group of my target audience is essentially the reason why I used contemporary items of clothing such as cropped tops and tribal print leggings and new and current forms of technology such as phone apps and digital subscriptions. 








This is the design of the app I used to promote my artist. I created this app to ensure I appealed to my target audience; they are young and surrounded by current forms of technology therefore I wanted to benefit them with an app relating to the artist.








                                                                                            
This is the cropped top I used for the image of my main artist on the double page spread. It is an example of current trends and used this on my artist to ensure my artist seemed realistic and relevant.
















Due to the age group of my target audience I was able to include a dominant convention which followed the Hiphop genre; taboo language. I used language such as 'F**CK' on my double page spread. I did this as I knew my target audience would be able to relate to these aspects and not feel influenced or harmed by it like they would if they were younger. Similarly most Hiphop magazines are targeted at this age group therefore I felt that I would follow these conventions to ensure I held a realistic target audience. 


My target audience consists of females as well as males too therefore I had to appeal to both genders through out my magazine. This was difficult to do due to the fact the artist I was using was a female and it was hard not to make everything feminine. Taking the sexualisation aspect further, I ensured I incorporated this in all of my images of my artists, therefore it would appeal to my male audience e.g. the cropped tops on both of the main images on my contents page and double page spread of my artist, showing their stomachs. I used masculine colours, of red and black on text and background of my product, to not only connote danger and power but to stereotypically appeal to a male audience.


The first image is of a male potential member of my target audience. In this image, the male is wearing red, he is of a black race and is a prime example on why I ensured I included these two aspects in my music magazine. The red and black aspects of my magazine would appeal to my male audience.The second image of a female potential member of my target audience. In this image she is sexualised hugely. The use of the cropped top is a prime example in why I incorporated one similar. It would appeal to a female audience in terms of fashion trends and would appeal to the male audience due to the sexual connotations.

Dominant ideologies which follow the target audience of the Hiphop genre which I challenged:




                                  Smoking cannabis


















                                     Graffiti-








I challenged both of these conventions by not incorporating any of the two aspects in the creation of my music magazine. I felt smoking cannabis was a negative representation of the consumers of Hiphop; I wanted to break this convention and incorporate positive attributes which the target audience follow instead. I felt that graffiti did not hold any relevance to a music magazine therefore did not feel it appropriate to include. I wanted my target audience to be completely based on the music aspect of Hiphop with an influence of the fashion too therefore I created all of the features on my contents page in relation to music or fashion.

 
A dominant ideology which follow the target audience of the Hiphop genre which I supported:


Fashion; 
For the male audience I connoted sex through the clothes than the females in my magazine wore and I incorporated a conventional item of footwear to attract them- 'HIGH TOPS' on my contents page. For the female audience, I incorporated current fashion trends in order to attract them.


No comments:

Post a Comment